Book of the Year?

I read quite a lot of books. The best book I've read this year is probably The Good God by Michael Reeves.

It's a book about the Trinity. The big point is that the Trinity is central to understanding who God is, to understanding the difference between Christianity and other religions, and to understanding how we can be saved.

Reeves doesn't say anything new, but he explains the theology very accessibly and clearly, quoting and explaining "big name" theologians like Athanasius, Augustine, Luther and Richard of St Victor in a way that is accessible to all, and he does it very well. It would be my top recommendation for anyone wanting to understand the Trinity and why it matters, whether they were a new Christian or training for ordination.

My one criticism of the book is it could be very good for ecumenism as well - building links between evangelical theology and the Roman Catholics and Orthodox, but the end lets it down in that sense. Trinitarianism is true Christianity not just true Reformed Christianity.

Comments

  1. Great review! Mike Reeves is one of our top 3 favourite preachers, mainly based on his awesome Trinitarian focus. If this is your Book of the Year, hubby and I are going to *love* having you as our new vicar! :)

    If you guys need a hand moving in, PLEASE let us know :)

    Blessings in Jesus,
    Menekse (and Andrew) Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're listening to Mike Reeves sermons, we're going to love having you in the congregation! :) Look forwards to meeting you...

    Who are the other two favourite preachers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Mark Driscoll, although I don't always agree with what he says/some of his methods. His focus on Jesus is great though, and ultimately you're hard pushed to agree with anyone 100%! I also like A. W. Tozer, Glen Scrivener, Tim Keller and the like, but my top 3 varies depending on my mood ^_^ I've come from a super conservative background so unfortunately my listening experience is fairly limited so far. I studied Spurgeon quite a bit at Bible college, his sermons are amazing to read but I don't think he really counts in terms of someone I listen to :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Any Questions?

Monday Morning Mail, 7th April 2014